Getting a good night’s sleep is essential to keeping healthy. Doctors recommend a minimum of eight hours of sleep to rejuvenate the body and refresh the mind. Getting a good night’s sleep isn’t always easy, a glass of warm milk, meditation and soothing music might help but if the mattress you are lying on isn’t right then you may just be wasting your time. Having a comfortable mattress is an essential component to a good night’s sleep.
Here are some top mattress shopping tips:
- Do some research before actually setting out to buy the mattress. The internet is a wonderful invention, use it and make a list of all the mattress brands you liked.
- Ask for recommendations from friends and family. It is not necessary that what mattress suits them, will suit you, but you will get good leads.
- Plan to spend more than 15 minutes on a mattress in the showroom.
- Take off your shoes and lay on the bed, on your back, your stomach, your sides, while you are reading, while sitting etc. All the positions that you use normally in your life. Don’t skimp on this and don’t feel shy.
- The old philosophy, the harder the mattress, the greater you prevent back injury is false. It has been proven, that the mattress should conform to your spine, supporting it. Most back cramps occur when there is a gap between your mattress and your spine, putting strain on your back.
- Ask about the number of coils. Minimum is 400 to give you a good support.
- Ask about how the coils are arranged, whether they are individually sewn in pockets or is a continuous wiring system. Individual coils provide more support to the spine, won’t give when your partner moves around, but are more expensive than the continuous wiring mattresses.
- Ask about the gauge of the coils. Make sure the coil count and gauge match up because when the coil count is low and the gauge heavy, the mattress becomes lumpy quickly.
- Look at the padding materials closely. Polyester or cotton polyester blend is better than vinyl ticking. The top padding should be soft foam as polyester batting loses its support over time. Look out for the egg carton shaped foam as it makes the mattress soft and provides more comfort.
- Finally always buy the mattress box with the mattress as they provide a better fit and avoid plain wooden platforms as they wear down the mattress faster.
For luxury beds and mattresses visit 1907 Beds – the home of luxury mattresses since 1907. Have you any tips to share with us? How good is your mattress? Let us know by adding your comment below.