Almost all of us are familiar with the discomforts of back pain as we have experienced it at some point in our lives. It is the second most common neurological disorder after headache.
If you suffer from back pain, it is important to get examined by a professional doctor before trying home remedies, because the reason for back pain can vary from a mere from muscle strain to more serious factors such as herniated disc. So it is very important to find out the primary cause of back pain first and then decide on a treatment plan.
Now let us have a look at the 10 most popular natural remedies for back pain. These remedies will work best if used as a part of a comprehensive treatment program.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is a Chinese treatment. According to Chinese medicine, any type of pain is caused due to the blocked energy along energy pathways of the body. When acupuncture needles are inserted along these invisible pathways, they are unblocked, and it results in relief from pain. Research shows that acupuncture provides relief in lower back pain.
- Vitamin D: The deficiency of vitamin D in body may cause chronic back pain. Research suggests that the supplements of vitamin D may improve the back pain symptoms in people with vitamin D deficiency. Though vitamin D is produced in body by exposure to sun rays, and it is present in certain foods such as fortified milk and fish, but it is not enough. So a supplement is recommended.
- Massage therapy: It is the most cost effective and popular remedy for back pain relief. It is the first thing when people think of back pain relief. It soothes the aching muscles and provides relief.
- Anti-Inflammatory herbs: Since inflammation is believed to play a role in back pain development, certain herbs with anti-inflammatory properties may be effective in reducing back pain. White willow bark and Devil’s Claw are two herbs that are sometimes used in the treatment of back pain.
- Yoga: The ancient Indian art of yoga creates balance in body through practicing different poses and stretches. It is thought to increase the flexibility of body, and thus believed to be effective in treating back pain. Though the patient must consult his doctor first who will suggest good yoga practitioner.
- Chiropractic: Many people visit doctors of chiropractic for the relief of back pain. Chiropractic professionals manually apply a controlled force to affected muscle, to restore mobility. They use a hands-on therapy known as spinal manipulation. It is believed to restore mobility to joints restricted by muscle injury, strain, inflammation etc. It is effective in treating back pain.
- Vitamin B 12: A study published in a European medical journal, carried out on 60 patients suggested that those patients who received injections of vitamin B12 experienced a significant reduction in back pain.
- Alexander technique: Alexander technique is a type of natural therapy in which people are taught to improve their posture and eliminate bad habits like slouching. Scientific studies strongly suggest the effectiveness of Alexander technique in treating chronic back pain. Alexander technique can be learnt in private sessions or group lessons. A typical session lasts for 45 minutes in which instructor teach how to carry yourself, with verbal instructions and gentle gestures.
- Hypnotherapy: Hypnotherapy or ‘Hypnosis’ is a mind-body technique in which a person enters a trance like state of deep relaxation. When under hypnosis, a person is thought to be more open to suggestions. Thus it can effectively change habits that lead to chronic back pain. The results of studies show that it significantly reduces the intensity of pain and improves the mood of patients with chronic back pain.
- Tai Chi: Tai Chi is an ancient Chinese martial art technique that involves slow, focused and graceful movements. It is practiced both for defense training and for its health benefits. While performing tai chi, the mind solely focuses on the movements of the form, and it is supposed to bring an inner calm and clarity of mind. In a number of small studies, tai chi has been found to be helpful to people with chronic back pain.
Back pain is an adverse condition which causes a lot of discomfort and many times renders you helpless. Thus the above remedies are ideal for back pain treatment.
Empowered Doctor offers an Latest breaking health news, Medical news with video stories. Empowered Doctor also has a local doctor directory so you can find a doctor in your area.