A good night’s sleep is very essential just like how proper diet and exercise are also essential to your emotional, physical and mental health. However, not everyone is able to get the recommended amount of sleep needed each night in order to allow their body and mind to perform their best the following morning. Lack of sleep can lead to irritability, weak immune system, stress and other health problems. Sometimes, the only reason why you can not get a good night’s sleep is because of the mattress you are using.
Mattresses Do Not Last Forever
Like many other household items, mattresses do not last forever. This means that they too have a certain shelf life that depends on the quality, usage and support preferences needed. Mattresses are usually best used within five to seven years. Some depend on the warranty as an indicator on how long the mattress can be used. This is wrong because the warranty is meant for product defects and not the gradual loss of support and comfort. Once the old mattress is replaced, you will immediately find an improvement in terms of comfort and support when you sleep. However, you must not judge a mattress’ ability to provide comfort and support on the length of time you have used it. The best way to determine if your mattress is no longer suited to sleep on when you consider these factors:
- Numbness, stiffness and body ache are felt upon waking up
- You are grouchy and very irritable when you wake up in the morning
- You experience better sleep when you stay over night at a friend’s house or hotel
- Signs of overuse are evident on your mattress
What To Look Out For In A Mattress
When you decide to purchase a new mattress, there are three factors that must be considered. These factors can help you determine if the mattress you have been eyeing for hours is indeed the right one for you.
Your body needs support and a good mattress will be able to provide you with the best support your body needs. It must be able to support your body at all points and be able to maintain your spine in its rightful shape just as if you were standing. Give attention to your lower back, shoulders and hips.
Support is not sufficient if you want to sleep better. You must also get the comfort your body needs. The newer models of mattresses these days offer luxurious cushioning materials and they feature soft surface treatments which add to the level of comfort you can get.
Quality materials are needed to make durable mattresses. How they are constructed together also matters to provide support and comfort for a long period of time.
How To Shop For A Quality Mattress
When you shop for a new mattress, you must remember a few things after you have made a selection on a mattress you want to purchase.
- Do some research and read through reviews about the experiences of other people who have purchased the same mattress.
- Test the mattress of your choice by laying down on it in your typical sleep position. There is no need to be shy about testing the bed in the store.
- While you try out the mattress, evaluate the level of support and comfort you feel. You can even try out multiple selections till you find the right one.
- Do not forget to test the mattress together with your partner to make sure that both of you are comfortable and that both have sufficient space to move in.
Valerie Collins is a freelance writer specializing in wellness and health. She regularly contributes articles to mattress Portland Oregon websites where eco-friendly mattresses are offered.